Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sleepless in Michigan

It was another warm, sticky night and sleep eluded me. After an hour of tossing and turning, flinging the sheet on and off more times than I can count, I finally turned the air on again. I hate the idea of turning the air conditioning on in the fall, it goes against everything I believe in.

Kevin has been out of town for several days and I don't sleep well when he's away. I think I began dozing around 1:00 a.m. I fell asleep and then woke and fell asleep and woke. This continued for several hours. When I started dreaming, I heard the noise. A whine, but because of the dream, I couldn't place it. What was that sound? Struggling to wake myself, I rolled over and looked at the clock, it was 3:10 a.m. Then I heard it again and realized it was Oliver. He never cries to go out at that hour.

I grabbed my robe and plodded down the stairs. As I opened the door, a sour smell hit me. Oliver had gotten sick in his bed, poor guy. He raced towards the door and I turned on the porch light so he could see where to go. I went back and took out the cushion from his bed and put it out in the garage and wiped up the other areas that were hit. When he came back in, I showed him his bed and closed the door. He was not happy with me.

So back up the stairs I went. I climbed into bed and pulled up the sheet once again. I could still hear Oliver whimpering a bit, but by this time I was wide awake. I tried to ignore it, but my brain wouldn't stop. Have you ever started organizing your house in your head? By the time 5:15 rolled around, I had reorganized every closet and drawer in the house. My oven, stove, refrigerator and microwave had been cleaned. All the laundry done, the cobwebs brushed down out of the corners and the bathrooms sparkling. I also wrote several e-mails and grocery shopped.

I got up at that point and woke Lance up because he needed to shower before school. I put in a load of laundry and turned on the dishwasher. After that, I made him breakfast, packed his lunch and sent him out the door. I put the wet clothes in the dryer and put Oliver's bed in the washer. I then turned on the TV and watched the program I recorded last night. That's when I started to get tired and droopy eyed.

Now, I think I will have to take a nap. So all the cleaning and organizing I did in my head last night, still needs to be done in reality and I can honestly say, that it is not happening today.

I lay down and slept;I woke again, for the Lord sustained me. Psalm 3:4-5


Rebecca. Harlan, IN said...

I think you have EARNED a nap. I'm sorry to hear of your sleepless nights and Oliver's misery. My mommy said there would be (nights) like this :)

Joyce said...

I had a nap yesterday. May have one today too. I've had two nights in a row like that. I've decided not to feel guilty and just take the nap. Everyone is happier. Hope you catch up today!

Dee said...

I have to do that all the time because of Frank and living in an efficiency apartment...i am glad to know that others also can clean organize in their head. I hope your nap is a good one. very cute post, :-)

Donna's Book Nook said...

I felt like I needed a nap today, but didn't give in. I should have! Haven't been very productive--except trying to catch up on 1 whole week of e-mails and blogs.

Sorry about Oliver! Donna

Pat said...

It's reassuring to know that others orgainize and clean in their minds when they can't sleep. I personally have done a beautiful job on my house during those sleepless nights!
Why are we so hesitant to nap? I'm the same way and at 62 I feel the need more then ever! I just do it now, and I feel much better when I do!
Sweet dreams!

Dee said...

I like your new fall blog look. I am so tempted to change mine.