Monday, May 4, 2009

The Art of Lying

Yesterday I went to church by myself, since Lance wasn't feeling well and Kevin volunteered to stay home with him. (I personally think that Kevin just didn't want to shave, he was nurturing the stubbiest beard that I have seen in a quite a while).

At church we had communion. I love and hate communion. It is such a wonderful time of sharing and remembering the sacrifice and blessing that Jesus gave to us. But it is also the time of reflection and repentance, and I find that there are so many things in my life that I am ashamed of. Sin. But then again, it is so beautiful afterward, when things feel right between God and me.

Pastor started a series several weeks ago called reflection and yesterday he spoke specifically on lying.

We know that God does not lie, he can't lie. Numbers 23:19 Hebrews 6:18 or Titus 1:2

But why do we lie?
To impress
To get revenge
To protect ourselves
To escape punishment
To profit
To keep from offending someone

What are ways that we lie?
Distortion
Exaggeration
Slander
Gossip

I come from a long line of pathological liars, so much so, that some of them even believe their lies. I have always prided myself on not lying, but what about these scenarios?

I'll start my diet tomorrow.
Really officer, I didn't know I was going that fast.
Oh, this tastes really good and you're thinking I could have made it much better.
No Honey, that dress doesn't make you look fat.
I will pray for you.
Etc...

To say the least, this message opened a whole can of worms. We here in the good old USA have made lying an art form.

And then there's the smuggling Bibles and hiding Jews during the Holocaust scenario.

Help me God...

1 comment:

Dee said...

Thank God all we have to do is ask forgiveness when we catch ourselves in a lie. Dee :0)