Sunday, November 9, 2008

Normal Days

A year ago I had some simple surgery to remove a parathyroid gland as well as half my thyroid gland. Little did I know that what was suppose to correct some annoying and frustrating symptoms, ended up causing a major body and mind meltdown.

After going to the emergency room three times only to be told I was having anxiety attacks, I finally went to my chiropractor. He has been a Godsend more than once to our family. (Thank you Jeff) He took one look at me and sent me to a different doctor who admitted me immediately to the hospital and called the Chief of Neurology.

I was told I had a very rare disorder called Sydenhams Chorea. This was the result of an infection I picked up during the surgery. Instead of my immune system attacking the infection, it attacked my brain, resulting in uncontrollable movements (similar to a seizure or Parkinson's) and psychosis. I was shaking so bad that I was unable to walk unassisted and couldn't feed myself, but the worst of it was the extreme paranoia and depression. While in the hospital I was put on massive doses of intravenous antibiotics and they tried many different drugs to control the involuntary jerking. The doctors finally found one that worked best but it caused severe cramping of the feet, so I had to be put on another drug to help with that. I was also put on antidepressants, xanax as well as oral antibiotics. I think I was taking seven different medications.

As I look back now, I realize just how sick I really was and it was many months before I started to feel better. This was on the heels of major surgery, my mother dying and moving back up to Michigan and leaving my daughters and sisters down in the Carolinas, need less to say, my world was turned upside down.

I mention all this, because I surprised myself by telling Kevin last week that I was happy. I really am happy again. I am about 80% recovered from the knee surgery that I had in May. I can get through the day without having to take a nap or spend a major part of my afternoon on the couch. My body needs some loving care in the form of exercise because it has gotten very flabby, but it is working again. I know it is the faithfulness of God that has brought me through the most horrible time of my life. He has healed me!! I still have times of being down or crabby but I am over it quickly. These are normal days again (did I just say NORMAL!?!)

I am smiling and I am happy!!


Rick said...

It's so frustrating and difficult when you can't get answers and even worst when you get the wrong answer. It sounds like you've been through a lot. I thank God for doctors that have enough wisdom to look past the easy answers.

Letters From Midlife said...

Wow, Gina. I had no idea what you went through. I went through several years of panic attacks that we never did figure out the cause of so I know how frightening it can be to feel you are losing control. God is so good to have brought you through it.

Donna's Book Nook said...

I am a nurse (however, newly retired) and I know a little of what you went through. What a terrible time! PTL! He has brought you through and it sounds like He has given you a new lease on life. Blessings on you! Donna

Anonymous said...

My precious Gina. Has it been a year already? Time sure does fly. As I read your posting I was reminded of our prayer time in the GCTS prayer room. Oh, how God showed up in a mighty way! I am so thankful that God of the Bible is alive and among us today. The healings and miracles we read about in the pages of Scripture are not a past tense, they are happening now. Thank you loving God for healing my precious Gina. We praise you and GLorify your name that she is happy again!
I love you much Gina!