Friday, October 3, 2008

I Want to be Different

Yesterday I had the opportunity to read Margret Feinberg's blog about what kind of Christian we want to be. It was very challenging and thought provoking and I have to say, that I want to be a November 5th Christian. A Christian not in word or vote only, but one who truly makes a difference.

I don't want to be one of those who complain about my government or people or church and sit around and do nothing. I want to make a change in and around me . My hope is that I am doing that in the special needs community. Did you know that 95% of families affected by disabilities are unchurched? I want to change that and reach out to those people. I want to listen to other parents as they share the struggles they face or help the person who is unable to get around
himself by giving him a ride. What about those who, because of government cuts, can't pay rent or put food on their tables, I want to make sure they are being helped. Many of these people are unable to work because of their disabilities. I want to make a difference, I want to bring them hope, I want to bring them Jesus.

Jesus, please help me to be an effective witness for you. Please help me to meet the need when you ask. Please allow me the opportunity to show your love to those around me.

So, for all I complained, I repent. I want to be different. I want to be a November 5th Christian. I also want to challenge you to be a source of change in the world around you. Don't just vote November 4th, make a difference November 5th.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Amen to all you wrote, Gina. I started a new blog called No Ordinary Faith where I want to write about digging deeper into my faith because I am tired of living an ordinary version of Christianity that doesn't look all that different than the world. Here's to Nov. 5 and making a real difference in our own communities.

Life with Linda said...

Gina my church has started a class for special needs people- I think it's for teens & up...thanks for the reminder the mission field is right outside our doors

Gina said...

Thank you Ladies for your thoughtful remarks. I would love to talk with you Linda, about the class your church has started.